Ok, Today’s Psychology Rabbit Hole. By Sheri. (P.S. Blame my writing on the above pic… lol)
If you’re interested in social psychology at all, you may actually enjoy this particular rabbit hole. Note, my analysis is mostly about the INFJ personality, type, but I’m putting various links in the comments and some of them pertain to a vast array of personality types…so if this isn’t you, you may still find some rather interesting information.
I’ll start with what led me down this rabbit hole. As you know, I’ve been thinking a lot about how *I* affect other people….about how I never really feel like I fit in…
And then something occurred to me, based on a conversation I had with someone about Personality Types last night.
I’m INFJ. Which, supposedly, is the most rare personality type (OR…for the sake of argument…the type of personality least likely to take those tests? But I kind of doubt that one…we think too much…). INFJs are only approximately 1.5% of the population TESTED.
RABBIT HOLE STEP 1: Is INFJ REALLY most rare?
RABBIT HOLE STEP 2: So… *if* INFJ is the most rare personality type…it would make sense that we tend to feel like we don’t fit….because we don’t often find people who ARE like us. (I’m lucky, through friends…and through my introverted habit of making a lot of my friends on the computer… I’ve managed to surround myself with more INFJs than one would be able to do in just living everyday life…especially, when…you know…you never leave your house to meet people… 😉 ) So…what is the actual TECHNICAL MAKEUP of INFJ?
The MBTI preferences indicate the differences in people based on the following:
INFJs’ Functional Stack
Dominant: Introverted Intuition (Ni)
Auxiliary: Extraverted Feeling (Fe)
Tertiary: Introverted Thinking (Ti)
Inferior: Extraverted Sensing (Se)
Rabbit Hole Step 3: OK…NOW…What exactly does that mean? AKA “Do-huh?”
(Another Very, VERY interesting website, in general) – https://exploringyourmind.com/infj-personality-most-rare-personality-carl-jung/
Here are the characteristics.
- Oriented towards helping others
- They are good at relating to others but they value being by themselves
- They are active dreamers
- Their enthusiasm and idealism can exhaust them
https://www.16personalities.com/infj-personality <—-This site also has the most in-depth MBTI test and analysis that I’ve personally come across.
- Not idle dreamers, but people capable of taking concrete steps to realize their goals and make a lasting positive impact.
- Tend to see helping others as their purpose in life, but while people with this personality type can be found engaging rescue efforts and doing charity work, their real passion is to get to the heart of the issue so that people need not be rescued at all.
- Though soft-spoken, they have very strong opinions and will fight tirelessly for an idea they believe in.
- They are decisive and strong-willed, but will rarely use that energy for personal gain –will act with creativity, imagination, conviction and sensitivity not to create advantage, but to create balance. Egalitarianism and karma are very attractive ideas to INFJs, and they tend to believe that nothing would help the world so much as using love and compassion to soften the hearts of tyrants.
- Find it easy to make connections with others, and have a talent for warm, sensitive language, speaking in human terms, rather than with pure logic and fact.
- The passion of their convictions is perfectly capable of carrying them past their breaking point and if their zeal gets out of hand, they can find themselves exhausted, unhealthy and stressed.
- Strongly humanitarian in outlook; tend to be idealists, and because of their J preference for closure and completion, they are generally “doers” as well as dreamers.
- Often take a disproportionate amount of responsibility in the various causes to which so many of them seem to be drawn.
- Deeply concerned about their relations with individuals as well as the state of humanity at large.
- Sometimes mistaken for extroverts because they appear so outgoing and are so genuinely interested in people — a product of the Feeling function they most readily show to the world. On the contrary, INFJs are true introverts, who can only be emotionally intimate and fulfilled with a chosen few.
- May well have the clearest insights of all the types into the motivations of others, for good and for evil. The most important contributing factor to this uncanny gift, however, are the empathic abilities often found in Fs, which seem to be especially heightened in the INFJ type (possibly by the dominance of the introverted N function).
- There can sometimes be a “tug-of-war” between NF vision and idealism and the J practicality that urges compromise for the sake of achieving the highest priority goals.
- The I and J combination, while perhaps enhancing self-awareness, may make it difficult for INFJs to articulate their deepest and most convoluted feelings.
- Usually self-expression comes more easily to INFJs on paper, as they tend to have strong writing skills.
- Hold deep convictions about the weightier matters of life.Those who are activists – INFJs gravitate toward such a role – are there for the cause, not for personal glory or political power.
- Champions of the oppressed and downtrodden. They often are found in the wake of an emergency, rescuing those who are in acute distress.
- Accurately suspicious about others’ motives.
RABBIT HOLE STEP 4: (Note, the website I listed here is actually quite fascinating for ALL personality types…if you’re into this sort of thing…and if you’re not…why are you still reading all of this rambling???) So, then I started wondering…What exactly is it that makes INFJ so different? Tons of people have these traits? So…what is it about the conglomeration of them that makes it more of an anomaly (if in fact it really is)?
Psychological (?) Opinion – Dr. AJ Drenth – https://personalityjunkie.com/the-infj/ – ß–Actually, this entire page is quote-worthy if you’re into this stuff, so in order to save this from being an extra 10 pages long, I highly suggest clicking the link. But the main part that caught my eye was: “To fully understand INFJs, it is necessary to recognize the full implications of their dominant function, Ni, being a Perceiving function. Namely, INFJs are far less serious inwardly than they appear outwardly (ENFJs, whose dominant function is a Judging function, are characteristically more serious). INFJs’ inner world is well described as playful, imaginative, colorful, mischievous, and daring. They love playing with ideas, perspectives, theories, images, symbols, and metaphors.”
Below From: https://www.today.com/health/personality-type-infj-rarest-myers-briggs-combination-t118739
PSYCHOLOGICAL RESEARCH – Donna M. Ives, MBTI Master Practitioner – “Dissecting the INFJ, or any of the other 15 types, is fairly rigorous because everyone is an individual. But broad generalities can be made by looking at the middle letters called “function pairs.” In the case of INFJ types, that’s the “N” and the “F.”
“These pairs tell a lot about a type, and NFs are really viewed as very compassionate, and highly empathetic individuals who like to focus on ideas and people versus say an ST who approaches things more analytically or objectively,” “MANY INFJS ARE OFTEN MISTAKEN FOR EXTROVERTS. That’s because INFJs are “very warm, interested in the people that they are with, especially on a one-on-one basis,” Ives says. ”Actually, being a reporter is kind of a dream job for an INFJ since so much interaction is one-on-one. Ives stresses that although you fall into a category, you are an individual, and the assessment doesn’t measure character or abilities.” “Actually, several types are rather scarce, according to the estimates of the relative frequency of each of the 16 types in the U.S. population, provided by the Myers & Briggs Foundation. ENTJs, those extroverted, intuitive, thinking and judgement-oriented folks, represent only 1.8 percent of the population. INTJs, just one letter off from us INFJs, show up about 2.1 percent of the time. The largest represented type is ISFJ, introverted, sensing, feeling and judging, at 13.8 percent. Overall, “sensing” individuals are more common than us “feely” types.”
PSYCHOLOGICAL OPINION – Dr. Carla Stebbins – “Some possible explanations for the relative rarity of INFJs may be due to the fact that we’re just not in situations where the test is offered, or maybe we don’t want to take the test.” “Another possibility is that when taking the assessment, people may not be honest, especially if they believe being an extrovert is better than being an introvert,”
RABBIT HOLE STEP 5: Ok, with a more thorough understanding of what makes INFJs tick…Is social media good for them or bad for them?
INFJs who use social media often do so to keep in touch with loved ones or potentially make new friends. For the INFJ who is feeling especially introverted, making friends online can be a great way to connect. They might struggle to find people around them who understand them- but sometimes connecting with people who have shared interests can help them feel close to others. INFJs might feel the urge to deactivate their accounts for a period of time, especially if they feel too engrossed in the time they spend on social media. INFJs have a tendency to react emotionally to something, and then feel the need to step away for a while. This is perfectly acceptable, and can actually be a healthy way for them to explore the physical world around them. When INFJs do use social media, it is usually to maintain connections with people.
RABBIT HOLE STOP 6: Wait…are these tests really even psychologically conclusive? There are a lot of people who poopoo them (even though, from what I have seen, most people will score the same or virtually the same throughout their entire lifetime. For this part…anyone interested in a PHD interpretation of the validity of the MBTI).
I liked this quote from these the best – Ronald E. Riggio, Ph.D. – : “Perhaps the best use for the MBTI is for self-reflection. If used as a starting point for discussing how people vary in their personalities, and emphasizing tolerance for individual differences and taking others’ perspectives, then it can be a useful tool.”
OTHER OPINIONS I FOUND INTERESTING. So…here are some of the most interesting things (and links) that I found
My absolute favorite thing that I read today – “INFJs are Divergent. Think Shaylene Woodley in badass leather pants.”
The self-awareness of it cracked me the eff up – “A body needs a variety of parts to function properly. Every part cannot be an eyeball or a hand or a brain or a muscle – we need an asshole too.”
“Only a true INFJ would answer the questions the way they were intended to be answered,in order to get an honest evaluation of thier personality type. Society has taught us it’s undesirable to have many of the traits special to INFJ,that might skew the results,rarely will people admit to having these traits. When answering questions remember to go with your first answer,for an infj that’s where the truth lies.”
OTHER INTERESTING LINKS: